Toronto

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ian, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Toronto is Canada's largest city, Greater Toronto has a population of over 6 million people. It is one of the world's most multi-cultural cities. The best time to visit would be between May and September. The winters can be extremely cold.

Toronto.jpg

Things to see and do.
    CN tower, you can take an elevator to the top for a great view of the city and lake Ontario.
    Ripley's Aquarium which is at the base of the CN tower.
    Bata shoe museum, if you like shoes.
    Hockey hall of fame, for the hockey fan.
    Eaton Center Mall, large shopping mall downtown.
    Theatre district, the third largest English-speaking theatre district in the world. After London and New York.
    There are a lot of things to do in Toronto.

I live in the Toronto area, so if you have any questions I should be able to answer them.

2. Pat O'Neill

Pat O'Neill New Member

Hi Ian, I'm going to Canada in September, 9th-18th. I am staying 2 nights in Toronto, 1 night in Ottawa, 3 nights in Montreal & 3 nights in Toronto to finish off. Can you give me any good tips on what to see & do? Are there any food tours/restaurants that you recommend?

3. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Hi Pat, thanks for joining.

September is a great time to visit Toronto, as the weather is perfect as Toronto can get very hot in July and August.

If it’s your first time to Toronto I would recommend going to the CN tower for a tour, if it’s a clear day go up to the top for a great view.

For a quick tour around Toronto try https://www.citysightseeingtoronto.com/ all the information is on the site.
    They also have combo tours for Toronto plus Niagara Falls. Plus they offer boat tours and you can get a great photo of the city from the boat.

For what to do in Toronto I would check http://www.seetorontonow.com/ they have all the tourist information.
    Toronto is a large city with many great restaurants in different price ranges so it really depends on where your hotel is and type of food you want.
    Personally, I like The Esplanade, between Scott and Church Street there is a number of good restaurants. You could go there one afternoon or evening, then go see different areas.
    http://www.oldspaghettifactory.ca/ Italian
    https://www.kegsteakhouse.com/locations/esplanade-keg/ Steaks
    http://scotlandyardpub.ca/ British style pub
    Yonge Street is a great place to walk, Yonge and Dundas is in the central downtown core and a good area to wander around.
    Also, City Hall is a good spot for a photo with the Toronto sign.
    Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen St W, walking distance from Yonge and Dundas.

For a quick slice of Pizza, Pizza Pizza has places all over Toronto and you can get a slice to go.

If you have never been to Niagara Falls I would recommend staying there for a night or taking a tour from Toronto. If you like wine there are some good wine tours of the Niagara area also.

Ottawa and Montreal have city bus tours which are very good also.

Ian

4. Mike

Mike New Member

Hi Pat - what type of food do you like? I live in Toronto and have eaten my way through a decent portion of the city. Let me know and I can provide some recos as well.

Mike

5. Pat O'Neill

Pat O'Neill New Member

Hi Mike, good to hear from you. The trip to Toronto is only a little over a month away at this stage! I would really like to get recommendations for places that have great seafood & steaks & serve really good Canadian dishes. I'm also looking for good places to go out & also good places for cocktails.

Regards,
    Pat.

6. Mike

Mike New Member

Hi Pat - First off, I should mention that you will be visiting during the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), so if that wasn't already on your list of planned activities, it's well worth checking out as there are frequently excellent movies that get premiered here. Keep in mind though that because of this, many more places in the city will be busier than usual, and you will likely need to make reservations at some of the more popular restaurants to avoid disappointment.

For Steaks:

1) Jacobs & Co. is the #1 place in the city in my opinion, and has prices that reflect it. It's a great experience and definitely not your "everyday" steak.
    2) Ruth's Chris is also another popular American chain that isn't quite as high end as Jacob's, but still excellent quality and not as pricey.
    3) The Keg is also a pretty popular Canadian chain as Ian mentions, but one location is specific I love, The Keg Mansion, a very unique setting.
    4) I also had one of the best steaks of my life at Toca, which is under the Ritz Carlton. Again, a little on the pricey side, but worth it for the experience.
    5) For more budget steak options, there's Kelsey's, Montana's, Jack Astors to name a few. These are all chain restaurants that still serve good food at a lower price.

For Seafood:

I am admittedly not a huge fan of seafood (more specifically shellfish), but in terms of places that I've been recommended in the past:

1) Rodney's Oyster House. As the name implies, lots of oysters.
    2) The Honest Weight. This one is out near where I live, and has a great selection and reasonable prices.
    3) Most of the places listed above in the Steak section will also have excellent seafood options too.

In terms of "Canadian" dishes, if you've never had it, you have to try some Poutine. One of my favourite places is called Smokes Poutinerie and they have quite a few locations throughout the city. Also, not sure where you live, but grab some maple syrup as a souvenir. Doesn't get much more Canadian than that (unless you're having it with bacon, eh? :)

For Cocktails:

There are tons of places in the city to grab a good drink, so instead of listing them all, I'll just list the areas:

1) Queen Street West (voted one of the hippest neighbourhoods in the world)
    2) King Street West (a little more "refined" than Queen West). Caters more to "suits" but some nice fancier places here too.
    3) Ossington Avenue. Pretty much anything on this street between Queen and King will offer a good drink in a hip atmosphere.

To Do:

In my opinion you are coming to the city at one of the best times of the year. The heat and humidity of summer have typically gone, and temperatures are in the low to mid 20 degree range which is great for being out and about.

Ian has already commented on some of the "must see's" like the CN Tower and Niagara Falls. Some of my other faves include The Toronto Islands (which just re-opened after being closed for 3 months due to flooding earlier in the year), High Park, The waterfront area near Queens Quay and Bay streets. One other thing that I would recommend is simply wandering the city. Because Toronto is such a diverse and multicultural city, you can walk through so many different neighbourhoods within a span of minutes. I used to walk through 6 different ethnic neighbourhoods on my way to work every day!

Where abouts will you be staying in the city? That may also impact how you plan your time too. Hope this helps! Happy to provide more recos if you need. Enjoy your time in Toronto!

Cheers,
    Mike

7. Pat O'Neill

Pat O'Neill New Member

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive overview of what to do in Toronto. It will be invaluable to myself on the trip in September.

My trip to Toronto is split into two blocks - when I arrive into Toronto from Dublin on the 9th September-11th September when I get the train to Ottawa. For this period, I will be staying in HI-Toronto hostel on Church St. The second part is from 15th-18th September & I will be staying in the Grand Hotel & Suites on Jarvis St.

I will be down the CN Tower walk & also doing a trip to Niagara Falls.

I have heard about a restaurant called Smoque N'Bones. Have you heard any good feedback about it? I like the look of their menu.

Regards,
    Pat.

8. Mike

Mike New Member

Hi Pat -

Glad to help. Toronto has a lot of great things to offer all types of travellers, and it truly is one of my favourite cities in the world. Hope you have a great time on your trip!

As for Smoque N' Bones, I haven't eaten there myself, but I know a few people who have and share similar sentiments to it being a great place. It's also very close to Trinity Bellwoods Park which is a great place to walk off the meal after you're done too!

Cheers,
    Mike