Panama to Belize

I'm living in England, found your site on Google looking for hangouts in Central America. I will be going to Central America alone at the start of March for 8 weeks and would like to visit all the countries. Booking my trip soon, so any advice?

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
Great that you found us, and thanks for joining.

We are not a travel agency, so we or I, cannot give travel advice only suggestions. So I think 8 weeks in Central America would be a great vacation.

If you don't already speak any Spanish, I would pick up a phrase book and learn a little before you arrive.

The places I suggest and have been to, you can look these places up before you go.
Panama City, Panama Canal
Anywhere in Costa Rica, I have been on the west coast, east coast in the mountains it is all very scenic
Maybe San Juan del Sur for 2 nights, in Nicaragua
Granada, Nicaragua, take a boat trip on the lake.
Las Penitas on the Pacific coast, near Leon Nicaragua, I didn't like Leon myself
San Salvador, if your staying in a cheaper hotel and can't find a good tour, go to a more expensive hotel lobby and ask about city tours
Honduras I would suggest Roatan Island and the Mayan Copan Ruins, the capital is not a tourist area nor is San Pedro Sula
Guatemala, Antigua, Chichicastenango, Tikal, and Guatemala City, be very careful in the city.
Belize, went from south to north, all good

I hope this helped,
Ian

Last edited:

Mario

Im not sure if visiting all the countries from Panama to Belize is a good idea, considering you only have 8 weeks.
I was in Panama last year (2 weeks) and in the Yucatan area the year before (3 weeks) and it seemed way too short. Especially Guatelama... I'll have to revisit this country for sure.
I'm not sure what kind of traveller you are... if you enjoy city trips or like being more in nature, but Panama City & the Canal isn't the most beautiful parts of Panama. Try Santa Catalina if you like surfing, Boquete if you want to go rafting or Bocas del Toro for scuba diving/snorkeling. Kuna Yala is also worth a visit.
As for Belize: Caye Caulker is quite similar to Bocas @ Panama, having a similar easygoing vibe...
If you want some impressions, here are the entries of my Traveldiaries: Panama Belize

I'd agree rushing to cover all the countries in just eight weeks is a mistake. I'll add my vote for El Salvador, particularly the area in and around Suchitoto.