Iceland

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Ian, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Iceland has been the new cool place to go for a few years (pun intended). Anyone like to share their experience or tips on Iceland?

2. Julia Hammond

Julia Hammond New Member

I got married in Iceland and wrote a Kindle guide for Unanchor - which should give you the measure of how much I love the place. I'd say if it's your first visit, go slightly off season to be able to enjoy the major sights without too many people to spoil the experience. Rent a car; some of Iceland's most rewarding destinations are off the public transport track. And go for as long as you can afford, as you'll regret a short stay.

Ian likes this.
  3. Ian

Great tips on Iceland. The Solheimasandur Plane crash site looks like an interesting place I was thinking of, for some good photos.

4. Julia Hammond

Julia Hammond New Member

Yes, make sure you put the GPS co-ordinates into your sat-nav though as there's a ravine to navigate and a small sand cliff. Great spot though, especially if you get it to yourself as we did.

5. feettoflight

feettoflight New Member

I'm going to Iceland in a few days. I rented a car and I hope it's the off season. I have seven days, just me and my car and Google maps. Hope I don't drive into a ravine! LOL!

Ian likes this.
  6. Ian

Is the car you rented all wheel drive? Have a great trip and drive carefully :)

7. feettoflight

feettoflight New Member

I'm in Iceland now. Not sure if this is "off season" but there are a lot more tourists here than I thought there would be. Loads of Americans and Chinese. My second day here it snowed 50cm, the second largest storm since 1936 when they got 55cm. I think it was 1936. But my little Nissan Micra with studded tires has been awesome. The day after the storm, I drove from Reykjavik to Jokulsarlon to see the ice caves and while there were a some very tricky spots on Road 1 over the mountains, I made it with no problem. Driving back the next day was much easier, though, because it wasn't windy. A small car in windy conditions can feel harrowing at times, but I never went off the road.

Saw an amazing display of Northern Lights last night. I watched for two hours. I'm staying in an Airbnb place at the end of Seltjarnarnes Peninsula, very near the lighthouse. So I just drove less than a km to the lighthouse, along with a lot of other people, and got some amazing pics of the lights. It was incredible. I also saw them in Hofn two night ago, but they weren't nearly as brilliant as they were last night, but it was still incredible.

Off to the Blue Lagoon today!

Ian likes this.
  8. Ian

It's surprising there are so many tourists this time of year, must be crazy in the summer.
    Great, you were able to see the Northern Lights and get some good photos.

9. Ian