Hotel security tips

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous travel' started by Ruth, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Ruth

Ruth New Member

Does anyone have any tips on hotel safety regarding leaving valuables in the room? I have had my passport stolen before from a hotel room and don't want to go through that again.

Ian likes this.
  2. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Hi Ruth, thanks for joining. Just curious, was your passport in a safe when it was stolen?

I can tell you a few things that I do that might help, I'm sure everyone hides their things a bit differently. When I'm staying in a hotel I will put the do not disturb sign on the door when I leave, this way hopefully no one enters the room. If there is a safe in the room I will put my things in there. If there is not a safe in the room I will put my things in my suitcase and lock it. Often I will just carry my valuables in my backpack when I'm out for the day.

3. Julia Hammond

Julia Hammond New Member

Ditto to what Ian has said. Plus I keep a photocopy of the data page of my passport on me plus scanned onto the computer at home, which means at least I'd have the information required for the British consulate to issue me with emergency travel documents if needed.