Anyone been to all 50 States? Or want to?

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Ian, May 21, 2017.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

I have been to 28 so far and enjoyed seeing them all.

Some of the highlights include,
    Hawaii did my first helicopter ride over Kauai which was amazing.
    New York City, an awesome city which I really liked, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Central Park and more.
    Washington DC, I liked all the museums and seeing the US Capital building.
    Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone NP, Florida, California, Las Vegas and more.

A few of the places I really want to see are Memphis, New Orleans, Utah, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico. I will be visiting New England soon, I’d like to visit the Acadia National Park, Maine and Mount Washington, New Hampshire. Route 66 would be interesting too.

2. Tabitha

Tabitha Member

I've only been to nine - Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, Illinois, Nevada and Colorado. I found Atlanta and Montgomery really interesting in respect of the Civil Rights aspects, (we were there on what would have been Rosa Parks' 100th birthday,) and we really enjoyed Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

I grew up listening to my mum's Elvis records, so had to do Graceland in Memphis, and actually found it more interesting than I'd expected to. Personally, while I'm glad I've been once, I don't see the attraction of Las Vegas, but I did like Chicago.

The USA has never been high on my wish list. I know it, and most of it's people, have many positives, but I truly dislike the gun laws, I am horrified at the lack of health and social care, and I really can't abide the kind of racism that I witnessed when we were last there.

I also dislike the arrogance shown by their border staff. My husband and I were planning to be in the USA for the permitted three months under the ESTA scheme, and then in Canada for six months, with our return flight booked from Montreal. We were actually removed from the plane and not allowed to continue until we changed our return flight to leave the whole of North America (ie away from USA, Canada, Mexico etc) within the three months that they allow. Quite why they think they have the right to determine what a person does after they have left the country is completely beyond me. We changed our flight, but then when we got to Canada, they confirmed that they were happy with our intentions, and we changed the flight back again. And that was before the current President got in!

I do want to get to some of the big cities (New York, Washington, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston etc) and would like to see some of the national parks in due course, but in the meantime there are so many other places in the world that the USA isn't a priority.

Ian likes this.